BLOCKLEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BLOCKLEY, a parish in the county of Worcester, but containing places in the county of Gloucestershire." "BLOCKLEY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, in the county of Worcester, lying detached within the county of Gloucester, 3 miles to the N.W. of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, its post town. It is a station on the Oxford and Wolverhampton section of the West Midland railway. It is situated on a small stream, a branch of the river Stour, and includes the hamlets of Dorne, Ditchford, Draycott, Northwick, and Paxford, and the chapelry of Aston Magna. A monastery appears to have been founded here before the middle of the 9th century, which was afterwards given to the bishops of Worcester, who have long held the manor, and who had a palace here before the Reformation. The silk manufacture was introduced here about 1700, and is still carried on. There are also several flour-mills and some stone quarries. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Worcester, of the value of £762, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. It is an ancient building, partly in the Norman style, with a tower of modern erection, and stands on the site of the old monastery. It contains two monumental brasses of priests, one being of the year 1483, and a monument, by Rysbrach, to the Rushout family, of Northwick Park. There is a chapel belonging to the Baptists. The National school is partly supported by endowment. The Fosse Way passed through this parish, and Roman urns and other relics have been found in the neighbourhood. Several mineral springs exist here." "DITCHFORD, (or Higher Ditchford), a hamlet in the parish of Blockley, hundred of Oswaldslow, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles N. of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 4 S.W. of Shipston-on-Stour." "NORTHWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Blockley, upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, formerly in Worcester, 1½ mile S. of Chipping-Campden. At a short distance from the village is Northwick Park, the seat of Earl Northwick, built by Lord Burlington. It contains several paintings by Vandyck, a portrait of Addison, and other art treasures."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]