CHEDWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CHEDWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Rapsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles N.E. of Northleach, its post town, and 7 from Cirencester. The Swindon and Cheltenham section of the Great Western railway passes within a few miles. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £302, in the patronage of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a beautiful sculptured stone pulpit. The Independents have a chapel. The Howe family took the title of baron from this place: A Roman bath was discovered in 1760, and there is a barrow on the hills."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]