Open a form to report problems or contribute information
COLN ST. ALDWIN, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COLN ST. ALDWIN, a parish in the hundred of Brightwells Barrow, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Fairford, its post town, and 6 S.E. of Northleach. It is situated on the river Coln and the ancient Icknield Street. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £103, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an old edifice in the early English, Norman, and perpendicular styles of architecture, and was repaired in 1853. It possesses some fine stained-glass windows. A National school has recently been erected. The charities produce £12 per annum."