Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
CRANHAM, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"CRANHAM, a parish in the hundred of Rapsgate, in the county of Gloucester, 6 miles N.E. of Stroud, and 7 S. of Gloucester. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture and in the large earthenware manufactory, known as the Potteries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value with the rectory* of Brimpsfield, £410, in the patronage of W. Goodrich, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James. There is a small chapel for Baptists, and a National school. J. W. Lyon, Esq, is lord of the manor."
"THE POTTERIES, a hamlet in the parish of Cranham, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Painswick."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]