CROMHALL ABBOTS, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"CROMHALL ABBOTS, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, union of Thornbury in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles E. of Thornbury, and 2 from the Wickwar station of the Gloucester and Bristol section of the Great Western railway. It anciently formed part of the possessions of St. Augustine's Abbey at Bristol. Coal and limestone are worked, and there is a large tract of heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £468, in the patronage of Oriel College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. The parochial charities produce £5 per annum. The principal residence is Cromhall Park." "CROMHALL LYGON, a tything in the parish of Cromhall Abbots, in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, union of Thornbury in the county of Gloucester."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]