DAGLINGWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DAGLINGWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Crowthorne, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Cirencester. It is situated on Ermine Street, and formerly belonged to Godstow Nunnery. At the time of the Conquest it was not a distinct parish, but an extensive common in the manor of Stratton. The soil is generally light, and there are quarries of building stone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £266, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, built about the year 1500, is a stone edifice in the Norman style, with a square tower containing four bells. It is supposed to have been dedicated to the Holy Rood, there being a very ancient stone crucifix above the E. window in the chancel. There is also an ancient stone cross in the churchyard. There is a school with a small endowment left by Jeremiah Hancock. Lord Bathurst is lord of the manor. A tesselated pavement was discovered some years ago, near the Roman road which passed through the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]