We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
- Original source material relating to Donnington (nr. Stow on the Wold), and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Donnington which are provided by:
- "DONNINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Stow-on-the-Wold, upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, in the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile N. of Stow. In 1646 the royalists under Lord Aston were defeated here by Colonel Morgan, which victory occasioned the surrender of the king's garrison at Oxford."
[Description from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- “Township, parish of and 1½ miles north from Stow-on-the-Wold, East Gloucestershire. Acreage 1,053. Here is a brewery. Nearest railway station: Stow-on-the-Wold 1½ miles. Distance from London: 89 miles. Population: 111.”
[Description from Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1899) transcribed by Brian Willey. Added 6 Jul 2005]
- "Formerly a detached hamlet of Stow-on-the-Wold; now a civil parish."
(Ref: Guide to the Parish Records of the City of Bristol and the County of Gloucester; I. Gray & E. Ralph, 1963)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Donnington has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP172285 (Lat/Lon: 51.954685, -1.751134), Donnington which are provided by:
- You may be interested in other places named Don(n)ington in the UK:
Most of them are small, but all are mentioned in Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899, cited above.
- Castle Donington, Leicestershire
- Donington, Leicestershire (nr Ibstock)
- Donington, Lincolnshire (nr Spalding)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Newport)
- Donington, Shropshire (nr Shifnal)
- Donington-on-Bain, Lincolnshire (nr Louth)
- Donington Wood, Shropshire (nr Lilleshall)
- Donnington, Berkshire (nr Newbury)
- Donnington, Herefordshire (nr Ledbury)
- Donnington, Shropshire (nr Wellington)
- Donnington, Sussex (nr Chichester)