DOYNTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"DOYNTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Langley, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles S. of Chipping Sodbury, 6 N. of Bath, its post town, and 4 E. of the Mangotsfield station on the Gloucester and Bristol line. It is situated on the Boyd, a tributary of the river Avon. Two-thirds of the land is in pasture. The village is pleasantly situated on a small plain surrounded by hills. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £433, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Independents have a chapel. There are several charities, and an endowed free school. William H. G. Langton, Esq., is lord of the manor. On the summit of the hills, overlooking the valley of the Boyd, are entrenchments, supposed to be Roman."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]