EASTINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"EASTINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Whitstone, county Gloucester, 1 mile S.W. of Stonehouse, its post town, and nearest railway station on the Great Western line, and 8 miles S.W. of Gloucester. It is situated on the Stroudwater canal, near the river Severn, and contains the hamlets of Alkerton and Nupend. The woollen cloth manufacture is carried on here, which gives employment to a large number of people. Near the village are several country seats; and at Mill End a market is held every Saturday. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £551, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Peters. The church is an ancient structure, with Gothic tower. It is dedicated to St. Matthew, and contains a Norman font, and a brass to Lady Knevet, 1518. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum, £17 of which are for the schools. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel, and there is a National school for 200 children of both sexes, also an infant school. Mrs. Phillimore Hicks is lady of the manor. Eastington House and the Leaze are the principal residences. In the immediate vicinity are the richly-wooded hills enclosing the vales of Rodborough, Chalford, and Avening." "ALKERTON, a tything in the parish of Eastington, in the hundred of Whitstone, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles to the W. of Stroud. Alkerton House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]