ENGLISH BICKNOR, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ENGLISH BICKNOR, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavels, in the county of Gloucester, 6 miles to the W. of Mitcheldean. Coleford is its post town. It is in the Forest of Dean, on the east bank of the river Wye. Coal and iron are obtained, and limestone is quarried here. The district is noted for its apples, which are much used for making cider. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £300, in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. The church, which stands on the site of an ancient camp, is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities amount to £5 per annum. The chief residence is Bickner Court, finely seated on a cliff over the Wye."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]