FRAMPTON-UPON-SEVERN, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"FRAMPTON-UPON-SEVERN, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Whitstone, county Gloucester, 7 miles N.W. of Stroud, and 10 S.W. of Gloucester. Stonehouse is its post town and nearest railway station, on the Great Western line, being about 6 miles to the S.E. of the village. It is situated on the eastern bank of the river Severn. The Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal passes through the parish, which includes the hamlet of Fromebridge. The Mercians and West Angles obtained a signal victory over the Danes at this place in 904, in which three of their chieftains were slain. The manor was held by Walter Clifford, the father of Fair Rosamond. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £330. The church, an ancient edifice of stone, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments of the Clifford family. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. The Independents have a chapel, and there are National and British schools for both sexes. There is also a mechanics' and literary institute. H. C. Clifford, Esq., is lord of the manor, whose seat is Frampton Court, a handsome mansion which has been in the family for many generations. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1813. Fairs are held on the 8th of February and September, for the sale of cattle and sheep."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]