Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire
Extract from Slater's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1850
Transcription by Paul A. Best © 2006
Is a parish in the hundred of Whitstone -- the village, a small one, is pleasantly situated about two miles from the eastern bank of the Severn, and on the banks of the Gloucestershire and Berkeley canal ; 8 miles w. from Stroud, and about the like distance from Dursley and Berkeley ; the former to the south, the latter to the south west. The Earl of Berkeley erected a great bulwark here, called Hock Crib, to prevent the river further encroaching on the land. Henry Clifford Clifford, Esq is lord of the hundred of Whitstone, in which the manor of Frampton is included, and holds a court for the same once a year : Frampton Court, the seat of this gentleman, is a very handsome residence. The parish church of Saint Mary, is chiefly in the decorated style of architecture, with a handsome tower and pinnacles ; the living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and di*cess of Gloucester. A place of worship for independents, and a national school are in the village. A fair, called "Frying Pan Fair" is held on Saint Valentines day. The parish, contained in 1831, 1,055 inhabitants, and in 1841, 1,051. Post Office, Ann Bennett, Post Mistress. -- Letters from all parts arrive (from Dursley, by foot post) every morning at half past ten, and are despatched thereto at half past two in the afternoon.
GENTRY AND CLERGY|
CAMBRIDGE george Pickard, Esq Whitminster House.
CHUTE Rev. George Vicarage.
CLIFFORD Henry. Clifford, Esq, Frampton Court.
CLIFFORD Henry John, Esq, Frampton Lodge.
CLIFFORD the Misses Rosamond & Caroline, Frampton Cottage.
Ely Rev. Anthony, Whitminster.
EVANS Mr. John, Frampton.
HICKS Miss. Ann Phillimore, Frampton.
HORNER Mr. William, Frampton.
JONES Rev. John F, Saul.
KEMBLE Captain John, Frampton.
LEWIS Rev. William, Frampton.
LOCKEY Miss. Agnes, Frampton.
RICHARDSON Miss. Jane, Frampton.
RUSSELL Mr. William, Frampton.
THOMAS Mrs, -- Slow House.
CLEGRAM William, engineer & principal superintendent of the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, Saul Lodge.
EVANS Charles, schoolmaster, Frampton.
HOWELL Joseph, master of National school.
LODGE ANN, schoolmistree.
WATTS Thomas, surgeon.
Bell Inn (posting house) Thos KARN.
SHOPKEEPERS & TRADERS
BALLINGER John, baker.
BARNARD Thomas B. maltster, brick and tile maker, coal merchant and barge owner.
BENNETT George, stone mason.
BENNETT Thomas, stone mason.
CALWAY Hester, grocer.
COOLE Peter, blacksmith.
FORD John, boot maker.
HADLEY Henry, wheelwright & carpenter.
HARMER John, cabinet maker.
HEIRON Henry, grocer.
HEIRON Richard, butcher.
HOBBS George, butcher.
HURLBUTT Edward, tailor.
KING Ann, straw bonnet maker.
KING Daniel, beer retailer & boot maker.
LODGE William, beer retailer and carpenter.
MORGAN John, stone mason.
NEALE William, beer retailer.
POWELL John, tailor.
REYNOLDS George, grocer and tailor and agent to Norwich Union Insurance Company.
RICKARDS Phoebe, dress maker.
ROWLES Samuel, barge owner.
SMITH James, cooper.
STIFF Nehemiah, baker and pork butcher.
SUMMER John, chemist and druggist.
TU*NER William, butcher.
WARD Samuel, grocer.
WORKMAN George, painter, plumber and glazier.
The nearest Station is the Frocester, 8 miles distant on the Bristol and Birmingham line.
To Stroud, Jones Van, for passengers and goods, every Friday morning at nine.
CONVEYANCE BY WATER
To Gloucester, a Boat, from Sauls Bridge, for passengers and goods every, morning, and an extra one on Saturday.