HASFIELD, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HASFIELD, a parish and township in the lower division of the hundred of Westminster, county Gloucester, 6 miles S.W. of Tewkesbury, and 7 N. of Gloucester. It is situated on the W. bank of the Severn, which is here navigable for small craft. The land is divided between arable, meadow, pasture, and woodland. At the time of the Domesday Survey, it was a seat of the Paunceforts of Pauncefort Court. The village, which is a small straggling place, is situated on the turnpike road leading from Gloucester to Tewkesbury. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1795. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £378. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a square embattled tower containing four bells, and has grotesque figures projecting from the sides for water spouts. The N. aisle was added in 1850, at the expense of the Fulljames of Hasfield Court. In the chancel is a memorial window, inserted in commemoration of the late William Miller of Cheltenham; also a monument to one of the Paunceforts, of a lady wanting a hand, in memory of her sending her "right hand" to Palestine, to ransom her lord from the infidels. There is a National school, erected in 1851, with an endowment of £8 per annum. The other charities produce about £13 per annum. The rectory house has been handsomely rebuilt in the Tudor style. Thomas Fulljames, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Hasfield Court."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]