We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
HATHEROP, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer
"HATHEROP, a parish and township in the hundred of Brightwells Barrow, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.E. of Fairford, and 9 from Cirencester. It is situated near the river Colne, and includes the hamlet of Netherton. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1766. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £274. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, or, according to others, to St. Nicholas, is a small but ancient structure. There is a Roman Catholic chapel, and two parochial schools. The Right Hon. Lord De Mauley is lord of the manor and sole proprietor."
"NETHERTON, a hamlet in the parish of Hatherop, county Gloucester, 2 miles N. of Fairford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]