HENBURY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HENBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Henbury, and partly in Lower Berkeley hundred, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol. This place derives its name from the two Saxon words Heanbyrig, "the old town or fortified place". It is bounded on the W. by the Severn, and on the S.W. by the river Avon, which joins the former at the Swash. The Severn is passable at two places in this parish, one at the hamlet of Redwick, the other at Aust, where the river is nearly 2 miles across, and which is identified as the Roman Trajectus Sabrinæ. The parish, which is very extensive, comprises the tythings of Northwick, Stowick, Aust-Ferry, Compton, Kingsweston, Charlton, and Lawrence Weston. The village is remarkably pleasant, and comprises many fine villas, the residences of the Bristol merchants. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture. The surface is generally flat, but that part where the village is situated is gradually rising ground. The soil is loamy, with a limestone subsoil. The line of the ancient Fosse Way passed near the village; and on a hill called Blaise Castle, whence is a charming prospect, are the remains of an ancient encampment, with triple ramparts, and two deep ditches, where Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Aust, Northwick, and Hallen annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £800. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice, restored and enlarged in 1833; it has a low square tower, containing a clock and six bells. The churchyard is surrounded with ivy-mantled walls, and planted with evergreens. The parochial charities produce about £851 per annum, of which £349 goes to Edmond's free grammar school, and £235 to Sanford's school. There is a National school for both sexes. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Society of Friends, have each a chapel. There is also an Episcopal chapel at Hallen. Blaise Castle and Kingsweston House are the principal residences. Sir Greville Smyth, Bart., E. Colston, and E. Gore, Esqs., are lords of the manor." "CHARLTON, a tything in the parish of Henbury, in the upper division of the hundred of Henbury, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles N. of Bristol." "COMPTON, a tything in the parish of Henbury, in the upper division of the hundred of Henbury, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Bristol." "KING'S WESTON, a tything in the parish of Henbury, lower division of Berkeley hundred, county Gloucester, 4½ miles N.W. of Bristol." "KINGSWESTON, a tything in the parish of Henbury, lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Bristol. Kingsweston House is the principal residence. It formerly belonged to Lord de Clifford, but is now the seat of P. Miles, Esq., M.P. It is situated under Pen-Pole Hill, from which a view of the surrounding country may be obtained. It contains a fine picture gallery." "PILNING, a station on the Bristol and South Wales Union section of the Great Western railway in the parish of Henbury, near New Passage Ferry, over the Severn, county Gloucester." "STOWICK, a tything in the parish of Henbury and lower division of Henbury hundred, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.W. of Bristol." "WESTON-LAWRENCE, a tything in the parish of Henbury, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]