HORTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HORTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's Ash, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.E. of Chipping Sodbury, its post town, 13 from Bath, and 6½ E. of the Yate railway station. The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Cotswolds. The higher grounds command views of Bristol, Clifton, and the Severn. The soil is clayey, with sandstone subsoil. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £657. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains several ancient monuments. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a private subscription school for both sexes."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]