HUNTLEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"HUNTLEY, a parish in the Duchy of Lancaster, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.E. of Newnham, 4 S. of Newent, and 7 N.W. of Gloucester, its post town. It is a small village, situated on the high road from Gloucester to Ross. The country is wooded and commands views of the Cotswold, Malvern, and Bredon hills, with the mountains of South Wales, the Severn, and the Bristol Channel in the distance. About half the land is in meadow and pasture, the remainder divided between arable, wood, and waste. The soil rests chiefly on limestone, intermixed with red and blue clay and marl. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240 11s. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £300. The church is a small ancient edifice dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, with a small endowment."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]