LASSINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LASSINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester, 3 miles N.W. of Gloucester, its post town. The parish, which is of small extent, is bounded on the N. and E. by the river Leadon. The Hereford and Gloucester canal here crosses a branch of the river Severn, and joins the main branch at Gloucester. In the neighbourhood both rivers are crossed by the same bridge, and near it is a large oak tree called "Lassington Oak". The village consists of a few farmhouses. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £119. The living is a rectory it the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £120, in the patronage of Sir J. W. Guise and the bishop alternately. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is an ancient structure, with a small turret at the W. end. The charities produce about £5 per annum. Sir J. W. Guise is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The fossils called Astroites, or starstones, are found on a hill in this neighbourhood."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]