LONGFORD, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LONGFORD, (Longford St. Catherine), a hamlet in the parish of St. Catherine, upper division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester. It is situated to the N. of the city of Gloucester, about 1 mile from the railway station. The Romans appear to have had a colony here. Henry VIII. gave the manor to the see of Gloucester, to which it still belongs." "LONGFORD, (Longford St. Mary), a hamlet in the parish of Gloucester St. Mary de Lode, upper division of the hundred of Dudstone, county Gloucester. It adjoins the hamlet of Longford St. Catherine. Longford house is the principal residence, from which there are some good views."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]