MORETON-VALENCE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MORETON-VALENCE, a parish in the upper division of Whitstone hundred, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.W. of Stroud, its post town. The village, which is inconsiderable and chiefly agricultural, is situated on the river Severn. The Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal passes through the parish. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £355. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring ironworks. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £90, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is an ancient structure. The parochial charities produce about £1 10s. per annum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]