NAILSWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NAILSWORTH, a chapelry and post town in the parishes of Avening, Horsley, and Minchinhampton, county Gloucester, 2 miles S.W. of Minchinhampton, and 4 S. of the Stroud station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the high road from Bath to Stroud and Cheltenham. The woollen cloth trade is carried on very extensively, giving employment to the chief portion of the inhabitants. There are also manufactures of bedsteads, walking-sticks, &c., which have materially decreased the beech-woods, once very abundant. In the village is a philosophical institution, and in the vicinity numerous barrows have recently been opened. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £100, in the patronage of trustees. The church was erected in 1798 in that part of the village which is in the parish of Avening. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, Baptists, and Society of Friends, also National and British schools for both sexes. A small customary market is held on Saturday." "FOREST GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Avening, county Gloucester 2 miles W. of Minchinhampton." "SHORTWOOD, a hamlet in the parish of Horsley, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Tetbury."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]