NEWLAND, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NEWLAND, a parish in the hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 3 miles from Coleford, and 4 S.E. of Monmouth. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the chapelries of Bream and Coleford, with the tythings of Clearwell, Lea-Bailey, and Newland, and the hamlets of Upper and Lower Redbrook. It is bounded on the W. by the navigable river Wye, and the valleys are watered by numerous rapid rivulets. The surface is diversified, some of the hills attaining an elevation of 800 feet above the level of the sea. Coal and iron ore are obtained in the neighbouring forest of Dean, and conveyed by the Wye to Redbrook, where are iron-foundries and tinplate manufactories. The substratum is limestone, which is extensively quarried for building purposes. At a place called Birchamp is a spring similar to St. Ann's well at Malvern. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £525. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Redbrook annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £488, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a large structure with a western tower crowned with pinnacles, and ornamented with open-worked battlements. There are chapels-of-ease at Coleford, Bream, Clearwell, and Redbrook. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Independents have places of worship. There are National schools, and a free school, founded by Edward Bell in 1651. The parochial charities produce about £250 per annum, including an annuity of £68, left by Mr. Jones for the foundation of a lectureship in the church, the school endowments, and two sets of almshouses founded by Edward Bell and Mr. Jones. There are remains of Meadow House, which was garrisoned by the royalists in the reign of Charles I., when the parliamentary troops occupied Gloucester." "LEA BAILEY, a tything in the parish of Newland, hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.E. of Monmouth, and 5 from Ross. It is situated near the river Wye." "REDBROOK, a chapelry in the parish of Newland, hundred of St. Briavel's, county Gloucester, 2 miles W. of Coleford, and 3 S. of Monmouth. It is situated in Dean Forest near the river Wye. There is a tin mine. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Newland, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]