NORTHWICK WITH REDWICK, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"NORTHWICK WITH REDWICK, a chapelry and tything in the parish of Henbury, lower division of Henbury hundred, county Gloucester, 6 miles S.W. of Thornbury, its post town, and 11 N.W. of the Yate railway station. It is situated on the river Severn and on the Welsh road from Bristol to the Old Passage. There is a large seawall to prevent the encroachment of the river on the low lands. The New Passage, which crosses the Severn, adjoins the hamlet. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage* of Henbury, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone structure, with a low square tower containing one bell. It was erected on the site of the old one in 1840. There is an endowed mixed National school, and a place of worship for the Wesleyans at Redwick." "REDWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Henbury, and lower division of the hundred of Henbury, county Gloucester, 8 miles N.W. of Bristol, and 6 S.W. of Thornbury. It is situated on the river Severn, near New Passage. It forms a tything in conjunction with Northwick. There is a school with a small endowment."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]