ODDINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"ODDINGTON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, county Gloucester, 1 mile S.W. of Addlestrop station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway, and 2 miles E. of Stow-on-the-Wold. Chipping Norton is its post town. The parish contains two distinct hamlets, distinguished as Upper and Lower. The soil consists of stone brash. The tithes were commuted for land-and corn-rents, under an Enclosure Act in 1786. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £344, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient stone structure, situated in a wooded spot, half a mils distant from the village. It is now unfrequented in consequence of a new one having been erected in a more central position between the villages. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There is a National school for children of both sexes. There are several residences in the village. Sir J. C. Reade, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]