OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's Ash, county Gloucester, 5 miles S.W. of Tetbury. Chippenham is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated among the Cotswold hills. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £245. The living is a rectory with the rectory* of Didmarton annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, joint value £387. The church, dedicated to St. Arild or St. Ariva, is a small ancient structure. There is a village school supported by the Duchess of Beaufort."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]