OXENHALL, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"OXENHALL, a parish in the hundred of Botloe, county Gloucester, 2 miles N. of Newent, its post town, and 7 S. of Ledbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Gloucester and Hereford canal, at the tunnel, which is 6,576 feet in length. The Ellbrook stream flows through the village, and falls into the Leadon at Highleadon Court. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is divided betwixt woodland, pasture, arable, and meadow. The soil is chiefly a rich sandy loam. Apples and pears are grown in great perfection. There are several mineral springs, the waters of which resemble those of Cheltenham. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440.
The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, has a spired tower containing three bells. Miss Foley is lady of the manor and principal landowner. In this parish is a mound covered with trees called "The Danes' Mound"."