Open a form to report problems or contribute information
OZLEWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"OZLEWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, county Gloucester, 5 pules E. of Charfield, 5 W. of Tetbury, and 3½ E. by S. of Wotton-under-Edge, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a clayey and loamy nature, upon a subsoil of oolite. From the higher grounds a view is commanded of the cities of Bath and Bristol. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £116 10s., and the globe comprises 23 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £109. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient cruciform structure, with an octagonal tower containing one bell. Newark Park, the principal residence, formerly belonged to a monastery, and was restored in Edward VI.'s time with the stones which formed Kingswood Abbey. Lewis Clutterbuck, Esq., is lord of the manor."