Note. This page is being updated over a period as all the lists are checked. You can see the original introduction on this page that discusses the details of the changes
This Town and Parish List covers all the parishes within the historic county of Gloucestershire. GENUKI aims to help people find information and the parishes are therefore defined largely as those that existed in the mid 19th Century. The list is also based on how the records in the principal record offices (Gloucestershire and Bristol) are organised.
As an aid to understanding the historical geography the places in the list below have annotations as follows [The annotations are only partially complete]:
Select a letter below to go directly to entries starting with that letter
- GAP Described as an "ancient parish" in the Diocese of Gloucester in GRO master lists
- GOP Described as an "ecclesiastical parish" or with more complex history in the Diocese of Gloucester in GRO master lists where the earliest register is before 1868
- GChap Listed by GRO as a chapelry
- GNP A Gloucestershire parish formed later than 1868 but it may have earlier records in the Record Office
- BCountryP Listed as "Country Parishes: Gloucestershire" in the BRO lists
- BCityP Listed as "City Parishes: Gloucestershire" in the BRO lists
- WOP Old parish where principal records are in Worcestershire Record Office
- OxP An old parish where principal records are in Oxfordshite Record Office
- NotP Not a parish with records. These pages have been dropped and you are directed to the parish in which this sits.
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - Y
Note: this list includes only (pre-1834) parishes. If the place you are looking for isn't listed, you may like to try searching for it in the GENUKI Gazetteer
See also Where is it in Gloucestershire for a list of places in the National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1868 (provided by Colin Hinson).