PITCHCOMBE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"PITCHCOMBE, a parish in the middle division of Dudstone hundred, county Gloucester, 2 miles S.W. of Stroud, its railway station and post town, and 1½ mile S.W. of Painswick. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Stroud, which here branches off in one direction to Cheltenham, and in another to Gloucester. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a stony subsoil. The surface is hilly, and the land nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £48, and the impropriate tithes for £5. The living is a rectory annexed to that of Harescomb, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a modern edifice, with a tower containing one bell. It was rebuilt in 1819 on the site of the old one, erected in 1327, at a short distance from the village. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. The Independents have a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]