Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Gloucestershire Wills Collections
This page provides details of compilations of Gloucestershire Probate Records (Wills), either partial abstracts or indexes, online and in printed collections. The following are listed in reverse order of their addition to this page.
- A catalogue of Wiltshire Wills (also covering places in Berkshire, Devon, Dorset, Gloucestershire, and Hampshire) is available online at Wiltshire Archives. In addition to the searchable database of over 300,000 probate records, there are digital images of a growing percentage of the records. Added 30 Jun 2008.
- Mary Mason's website devoted to Portbury Hundred includes a collection of Wills of Bristol and Adjacent Parishes - also various other items relating to the 'Parish Chest'. Added 21 Dec 2007.
- Fluck Family of Gloucestershire Probate Records - a list of Flocke/Flook/Fluck &c. Wills probated Gloucester, Canterbury and Worcester (1545-1857).
- Bristol Record Office provide a downloadable (.PDF) Index of Bristol Wills, 1793-1858.
- DocumentsOnline, the National Archives (Public Record Office) collection of digitised images of public records has all Wills proved at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) available for download as .PDF files. Generally these will be for the more wealthy testators holding land or property in more than one county; in May 2003 there were 23,472 Wills of Testators resident in Gloucestershire listed.
- Barbados records, wills and administrations, 3 vols: 1639-1680, 1681-1700 and 1701-1725, compiled and edited by Joanne McRee Sanders. Published Houston, Texas: Sanders Historical Publications, c1979-[c1981]
Includes some mentioning relatives in Gloucestershire. Thanks to Leslie Mahler for this information.
- Miscellaneous documents relating to Tredington, collected by Maureen Surman include Wills 1545 - 1695 of residents of Tredington (near Stoke Orchard, GLS).
- Gloucestershire Probate Records, a collection of abstracts begun by Rosemary Lockie in September 2000.
- In May 1999, a Genealogical Database became available in the Searchroom of the Gloucestershire Archives containing details of all Wills proved in Gloucester between 1541 and 1858.
- Leslie Mahler's abstracts of Wills from the Commissary Court of London 1629-1634 and the Consistory Court of London 1621-1630 contain a few entries for Gloucestershire.
- Early Gloucestershire Probate Records - transcriptions by Leslie Mahler begun in 1998.