RANGEWORTHY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"RANGEWORTHY, a chapelry in the parish of Thornbury, and lower division of the hundred of Thornbury, county Gloucester, 3¾ miles S.W. of Wickwar, and 4 S.W. of Thornbury. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Wotton-under-Edge to Bristol, and near the Bristol and Gloucester railway. The manufacture of hats was formerly carried on to a considerable extent, but the village is now wholly agricultural. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Thornbury. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, contains one bell. It has been recently rebuilt. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]