RENDCOMBE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"RENDCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Rapsgate, county Gloucester, 5 miles N. of Cirencester, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Northleach. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature, upon a subsoil of freestone. The -Berkeley hounds meet in this parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £440, and the glebe comprises 24 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £373. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. Rendcombe Park is the principal residence. Sir W. V. Guise, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]