"RODMARTON, a parish and township in the hundred of Longtree, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.W. of Tetbury Road railway station, and 6 S.W. of Cirencester. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Roman Fosse Way, and is chiefly agricultural. Rodmarton comprises the tything of Calkerton, and had a grange to a priory cell at Hasledon.
Near the site of the Roman station at Hocbery a tessalated pavement was discovered in 1636, and brass coins of Antoninus and Valentinian. The surface is generally level, affording good pasture for sheep, with a small portion of rich meadow land. The soil consists of a light loam upon a subsoil of oolite, which is quarried for building purposes. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1792, and the glebe contains about 600 acres.
The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £525. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure with a spired tower. The interior of the church contains several monuments, also a brass of Edwards, a lawyer, bearing date 1471. The register dates from 1605. The parochial charities produce about £19 per annum, of which £4 goes to Coxe's schools.
Tarlton Manor House is now a farm dwelling. _ Gordon, Esq., is lord of the manor. Samuel Lysons, President of the Royal Society, and author of several learned works, including the "Magna Britannia" and "Reliquiæ Britanniæ Romanæ", was born in 1763, as was also his brother, the author of the "Environs of London"."
"CALKERTON, a tything in the parish of Rodmarton, hundred of Longtree, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles to the N.E. of Tetbury."