SAPPERTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SAPPERTON, a parish in the hundred of Bisley, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Cirencester, its post town, and 4 from Tetbury Road railway station. The village is situated on the Thames and Severn canal, and near the Great Western railway. The tunnel of the above canal, which passes underneath Hagley Wood, is 260 feet below the surface, and above 2 miles in length. The parish includes the tything of Frampton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil in alluvial upon a subsoil of oolite. At Beacon Hill Camp, in this parish, two urns filled with Roman coins were found in 1769. The living is a rectory* with the curacy of Frampton annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £367. The church, dedicated to St. Kenelm, is an ancient cruciform structure with a tower. The interior of the church contains effigies of Sir Henry Poole and Sir Robert Atkyns; the latter was historian of the county and lord chief baron of the exchequer. The parochial charities produce about £64 per annum, besides Sir R. Atkyns's free school. Earl Bathurst is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]