SEVENHAMPTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SEVENHAMPTON, (or Sennington), a parish in the hundred of Bradley, county Gloucester, 7 miles N.W. of Northleach, its post town, and 4¼ S. of Winchcombe. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The river Colne flows through the parish, and one of the head streams of the Thames issues from seven different springs. The surface is hilly and the scenery varied. The land is almost wholly arable, with a little meadow and pasture. The soil is light, resting on a substratum of stone, which is quarried for building purposes. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments under an Enclosure Act in 1814. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £49. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a venerable cruciform structure with a square embattled tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several mural tablets. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. The Baptists have a place of worship at Brockhampton Quarries."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]