SHEPSCOMB, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SHEPSCOMB, a tything and chapelry in the parish of Painswick, hundred of Bisley, county Gloucester, 2 miles E. of Painswick, its post town, and 4 N. of Stroud. The village, which is considerable, is situated in a secluded vale near the road from Stroud. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the manufacture of woollen cloth, especially Saxony broad cloths, for which this place has been celebrated for some years. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £97, in the patronage of the Vicar of Painswick. The church was built in 1819. There is a National school for both sexes. The principal seats are Ebworth Park and Shepscomb House."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]