GREAT SHURDINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GREAT SHURDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Upper Dudstone, county Gloucester, 3 miles S.W. of Cheltenham, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the new road from Cheltenham, through the vale of Rodborough, to Bath. The soil is of a clayey nature, alternated with loam and gravel. The land is chiefly in pasture. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Badgeworth, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, has a tower and bell. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school, for both sexes."