SUDELEY-MANOR, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"SUDELEY-MANOR, a parish in the lower division of Kiftsgate hundred, county Gloucester, 1 mile S.E. of Winchcombe, its post town. The village is situated on the river Isborne, under the Cotswolds. The soil consists of stone brash, with a subsoil of clay. Sudeley gives title of baron to the Tracys of Toddington. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £45. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, which was much damaged during the civil war, but has recently been restored. The interior contains the remains of Queen Catherine Parr, who died in 1548. The principal residence is Sudeley Castle, which has been partly restored at the expense of J. and T. Dent, Esqrs. It contains works from Walpole's collection at Strawberry Hill. J. Dent, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]