- Original source material relating to Tewkesbury, and other parishes in Diocese of Gloucester may be found at the Gloucestershire Archives.
- Transcription of section of Pigot's Directory of Gloucestershire, 1830 for Tetbury, Tewkesbury & Thornbury, by Ted Wildy.
- The transcription of the section for Tewkesbury from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Tewkesbury Wills & Inventories 1601-1700, transcribed and produced for the Tewkesbury Historical Society by Bill Rennison and Cameron Talbot, and copyright 1996. Booklet containing complete transcriptions of Wills, and available in the Gloucestershire Archives.
- Here are two items on Tewkesbury Grammar School, both very kindly
contributed by David Hawgood.
The free grammar school was founded in 1576, and endowed with £20 per annum, by Mr Ferrers, payable out of the manor of Skillingthorpe, in the county of Lincoln, also with lands purchased with money left by Sir Dudley Digges, and with some chief rents; it is under the superintendence of the bailiffs, justices, chamberlain and town-clerk of the corporation, by whom the master is appointed: the room appropriated to it is supposed to have been the chapter-house of the abbey. The Blue-coat school is endowed with one-twelfth part of the rents of a farm in Kent, devised for charitable uses by Lady Capel, in 1721, and with £2.10 per annum given by Mr Thomas Merret, in 1724, being further supported by subscription: 40 boys are clothed and instructed in it. The National School, under the superintendence of the same master, was established in 1813; and a building for its use, and also for that of the Blue-coat school (the two establishments having been incorporated), was erected adjoining the churchyard, in 1817, at an expense of £1345. 8. 3¼. A Lancastrian school was established in 1813, for which a building had previously been erected, at the cost of more than £600, raised by contribution; the ground was given by N Hartland, a member of the Society of Friends: these schools are supported by subscription. [From the article on Tewkesbury in Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1835] Tewkesbury Grammar School was founded in 1576. It met in a chapel on the North side of Tewkesbury Abbey until 1862, when there were 32 boy pupils. In 1858 the Master, Mr Joseph Priestley, resigned because he was not given a free hand by the governing body. He started Abbey House School nearby. In 1899 the two schools were combined. It moved into new premises opposite the Abbey in 1906; they were designed for 50 boys but the school grew to 150 by 1952. The school then moved to new buildings in Southwick Park on the south side of the town. It closed in 1972 when comprehensive education was introduced in Tewkesbury. From 1910, the same board of governors controlled Tewkesbury Grammar School and Tewkesbury High School for Girls. The most famous old boy was Sir Raymond Priestley, born 1886. He studied at Bristol, Sydney and Cambridge Universities; went to the Antarctic as geologist to the Shackleton expedition 1907-9 and as a scientist in the Scott expedition of 1910-13. He served in France with the Royal Engineers during the 1st World War, becoming a major and gaining the M.C. He resumed an academic career, became Vice Chancellor of Melbourne University in Australia in 1934, then vice-chancellor of Birmingham University from 1938. [Tewkesbury Grammar School 1576-1972, by Paul Fluck (Grenfell Publications, Bristol, 1987)]
- Tewkesbury Historical Society. The Society's Woodard Database, described in their research section, will be of particular interest to Family Historians. Please note however the database is available for searching at Tewkesbury Local Library only, and is not online.