TIDENHAM, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TIDENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Westbury, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Chepstow, and 14 S.W. of Newnham. The village is situated at the extremity of the Forest of Dean, on the point between the rivers Wye and Severn, where Offa's Dyke ends. The parish includes the hamlets of Sedbury, Bishton, Church End, Lancant, Straat, Wibdon, and Beachley. The Severn is here crossed by the Old Passage ferry, which forms the principal communication with South Wales. The living is a vicarage with the curacy of St. Luke's annexed, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £441. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, or St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower and six bells. There is also the district church of Beachley, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £16. The parochial charities produce about £22 per annum. There are three Church of England schools for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and the Independents a reading-room. The old Roman road, Akeman Street, crossed Sedbury in its course from Oldbury to Caerwent, and on the line of Offa's Dyke are several Roman and Danish camps, and the ruins of St. Tecla's chapel on a small rocky island, near the confluence of the rivers Wye and Severn. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor." "BISHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Tidenham, hundred of Westbury, in the county of Gloucester, not far from Chepstow." "CHURCH END, a hamlet in the parish of Tidenham, in the county of Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Chepstow." "SEDBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Tidenham, hundred of Westbury, county Gloucester, 1 mile E. of Chepstow, between the rivers Severn and Wye." "STOAT, a hamlet in the parish of Tidenham, county Gloucester, 4 miles N.E. of Chepstow." "WEBDEN, a hamlet in the parish of Tidenham, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.E. of Chepstow."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]