TURKDEAN, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TURKDEAN, a parish in the hundred of Bradley, county Gloucester, 2 miles N.W. of Northleach, its post town, and 12 N. of Cirencester. The village is situated on a branch of the river Windrush, near the Fosse Way. The parish includes the hamlet of Aldsworth. The surface is undulating, and the soil consists of stone brash. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £208, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The parochial charities produce about £35 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. H. E. Waller, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]