UPPER SWELL, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"UPPER SWELL, a parish in the hundred of Upper Kiftsgate, county Gloucester, 1 mile. N.W. of Stow-on-the-Wold, its post town, and 4 N.W. of Addlestrop station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton railway. The village, consisting of a few farmhouses, is situated on the high road from Stow to Tewkesbury. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £85. The church, which is of great antiquity, was partly rebuilt in 1814. There is a day school for both sexes. The Roman Fosse Way bounds the parish on the E. 0. V. N. Pole, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]