WHEATENHURST, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WHEATENHURST, (or Whitminster), a parish and township in the lower division of Whitstone hundred, county Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Stroud, 7 S. of Gloucester, and 2½ W. of the Stonebush railway station. It is situated near Stroudwater, on the navigable river Severn, and is intersected by the Gloucester and Berkeley and Stroud canals. The village stands on the road from Gloucester to Bristol. The living is a perpetual curacy in diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £140. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, was enlarged in 1850. There is a parochial school for both sexes. The local charities produce about £30 per annum, including a share with Fretherne. It is the head of a Poor-law Union, comprising 14 parishes or places, and of a superintendent registry district, but is included in the Gloucester New County Court district. G. Bengough, Esq., is lord of the manor. [The name of this parish was changed officially to Whitminster in 1945 - RL 2003]"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]