WINSTONE, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WINSTONE, a parish in the hundred of Bisley, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.W. of Cirencester, and 9 from Cheltenham. The village is situated near the high road between Cirencester and Gloucester, under the Cotswold hills. The soil is stone brash upon a subsoil of stiff clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £260. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, recently repaired. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a National school. The charities produce about £2 per annum. J. W. Lyon, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]