WITHINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WITHINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Bradley, county Gloucester, 6 miles N.W. of Northleach. The village is situated on the river Colne, near the Cotswold hills, and includes the hamlet of Foxcote. The surface is hilly, and the soil intermixed with stone-brash. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £700, in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a mortuary chapel of the Howard family. There are schools for boys and girls, partially endowed, and one at Foxcote. The charities produce about £45 per annum. A Roman tesselated pavement was discovered here in 1811, a portion of which is preserved in the British Museum."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]