WYCK RISSINGTON, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WYCK RISSINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Slaughter, county Gloucester, 3 miles S. of Stow-on-the-Wold, its post town, and 2 N.E. of Bourton-on-the-Water. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Roman Fosse Way, and is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of stonebrash and clay. The tithes have been commuted under two several Enclosure Acts for land and a money payment. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £206. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was recently restored and enlarged. The parochial charities produce about £7 per annum. There is a parochial school, chiefly supported by C. V. N. Pole, Esq., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Wick House is the principal residence. [Recorded as RISSINGTON-WICK in Gazetteer -RL 2003]"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]