National Gazetteer (1868) - Aldershot
"ALDERSHOT, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Crondall, in county Hampshire, 3 miles to the N. of Farnham, 4 S.W. from Farnborough railway station, and 37 from London. It is situated on the river Blackwater, near the Basingstoke canal, and gives name, with Ash, to a station on the Reading branch of the South Eastern railway. It was formerly one of the possessions of the priory of Merton, and the Tichborne family had a seat here. The living is a curacy* in the diocese of Winchester, value £64, in the patronage of the chief proprietors. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Aldershott Heath is the site of an extensive military camp, with handsome stone barracks for cavalry, infantry, and artillery, erected in 1856. There are also a pavilion for the Queen, several clubhouses, a hospital, riding-school, and a police station. A new chapel for Wesleyans was built in 1857, which was given by the Wesleyan Conference for the use of the soldiers. The parish comprises an area of 4,144 acres, chiefly common and heath."
"WEST-END, a hamlet in the parish of Aldershot, county Hants, 4 miles N.E. of Farnham."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]