National Gazetteer (1868) - Ashley
"ASHLEY, a parish in the hundred of Buddlesgate, in the county of Southampton, 3 miles to the S.E. of Stockbridge, its post town. The Andover canal passes near it on the W., and the South Western railway on the E. It is 7 miles from the Winchester station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester, value £329, in the patronage of the Rev. James Hannay, the incumbent. The church, which is very old, was restored in 1858, and is dedicated to St. Mary. Traces of Roman camps are found here. The Roman road to Winchester runs near the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]