"BURGHCLERE, a parish and village partly in the lower division of the hundred of Evingar, and partly in the hundred of Kingsclere, Kingsclere division of the county of Southampton, 7 miles to the N. of Whitchurch, and 5 S. from Newbury, its post town and railway station. It is situated in a fine country near the borders of Berkshire, at the foot of a range of hills on which are several barrows and remains of ancient military works. The parish contains the hamlet of Earlstone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Winchester, value with the perpetual curacy of Newton annexed, £829, with a residence and 120 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the Earl of Carnarvon. "
[From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]