National Gazetteer (1868) - Bursledon
"BURSLEDON, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Mainsbridge, Southampton division of the county of Southampton, 4 miles to the S.E. of Southampton. It lies on the estuary of the river Hamble, which is here crossed by a bridge. The depth of the estuary makes this a commodious place for shipbuilding, which is carried on to some extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £110, annexed to the vicarage of Hound, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. There are charitable endowments worth £5 a year."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]